A local customer came to us with a 4TB MyBook that had been mailed to another data recovery company which had reportedly quoted $1500 for the recovery. The customer declined that fee and had it returned so they could bring it into us for a second opinion.
Initial inspection showed that the PCB had burned chips visible which I hoped would be the only issue. The drive had been opened by the previous company so I opened it to check what it looked like inside. Unfortunately the heads were physically damaged so they would need to be replaced before a recovery attempt to be completed.
Once the donor parts arrived I completed a head swap and also swapped the PCB to get access to the data on the platters. There was SED encryption which added another layer of difficulty to this one, but I was able to get through all of that and recovered 100% of the data on the drive!
The total cost for our client was about half what he was quoted by the other company, so he was very pleased with the results.
If you would like to work with me in recovering the data off your drive, please just contact us to start! I am happy to help you through the recovery process.