A computer shop in Salina referred this drive to us. It was spinning up but not accessible with their recovery equipment. After a quick diagnosis, I found that 1 of the 4 heads inside the drive was not working properly. In this case it was head 2 that was not functioning, leaving the drive unrecoverable by software-based methods.
The bad head was not damaging the platter, so I continued with getting the data back from the other 3 good heads. When this imaging process was done I had gotten back 75% of the sectors on the drive (3/4 heads worth). I contacted the customer asking if they wanted to stop with 75% of the data for our base fee, or if they wanted to continue with a head swap to get as much data as possible from the rest of the drive.
In this case the customer decided to go with a head swap recovery so I ordered the donor parts needed and waited for their arrival. Once the recovery parts arrived I continued with the head swap, which went really well. I had already imaged 75% of the drive, so I was able to just focus on imaging the final 25%.
This head swap recovery was a success with 94% of all sectors being successfully imaged. The customer was pleased to have their important data back, safe and sound.
If you would like my help with recovering your drive, please contact me for a data recovery quote and I will get back to you right away.