Categories
Data Recovery Projects

Toshiba DT01ACA100 From Business Server

Business Server Crash

As a business owner I understand how important it is to have your server up and running properly. From internal wiki’s to customer databases to inventory control, your business requires the data on the server more and more these days. Your entire business can grind to a halt when a drive fails, causing a loss of important revenue as well as a lot of stress.

This drive came from a client that owned a business where their server went down and they were told by a local computer repair shop that the drive was the issue. The computer repair shop was not able to recover the data and recommended us to attempt a data recovery as backups were not available for some of the data.

Recovering the data from the server

The server drive was a Toshiba 1TB DT01ACA100 model from 2017. The first step was to inspect the drive for any heads issues or platter damage. The heads looked good and were reading properly so it was on to the next steps!

All the drives that have internal parts testing good get certain functions turned off before imaging begins. For instance, there is a function of the drive to list what sectors are bad on the drive so they are not used in the future. If there are many bad sectors this can cause issues during the imaging, so this feature is turned off for the imaging process.

Setting Drive Recovery Parameters

During the first imaging pass I noted there were some areas of the drive that had many sectors that were not reading as quickly as they should. Setting the imager to skip these areas allowed imaging of the rest of the “easily accessible” data quickly without stressing the drive.

Once all the easily accessible sectors were imaged (about 90% of the sectors), I set the parameters for the second pass to try a little harder (but only once) on the remaining sectors. This allowed me to get 9% more for a total of 99% of the sectors.

The final pass I set to multiple retries of every missed sector with a long read time. This will stress the drive but with only .1% left to recover it is important to get every sector possible at this stage.

The final tally was 99.999% of the drive recovered! The client was able to get all the server files they needed and got their server back up and running with the recovered server data.

I enjoy working on drives for other business owners as I understand first hand how important that data is.

If you need help getting the data from your server and would like a quote, please visit our quote page to fill out the form and I will get back to you ASAP.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *